Monday, September 29, 2008

The Traveling Sub-Culture

Ever since I was a young child I found myself belonging to the subculture of traveling. I personally feel that traveling is a subculture because coming from the United States to outside islands and unfamiliar territories makes it its own subculture. Although English is spoken mostly as the primary language I find it difficult to understand the “broken-English” that the natives speak. Even while I wasn’t walking and breathing on this earth I was traveling around the world in my mother’s womb. Throughout the many years I’ve found it easier to understand, and converse with the locals on the islands. Once I was born, my parents took me, and the rest of my family with them on various “hot spot” vacations. Now, that I’m eighteen I’ve almost been to every island in the Caribbean. I love being adventures and trying new and exotic foods that each island has to offer. Within this subculture the dialect is very different. In the Bahamas a common saying is, “Da water is to cold man!” That’s not a saying that you would hear in Florida or the Midwest. Each saying is native to the locals and the people that live there. I love traveling because I love being able to wake up, un-showered, put on a bathing suit, sandals, and sunglasses and head off to a sun filled day at the beach. Living in Chicago, I can’t do that. When I come home I usually have friends waiting for the stories that made my week so amazing. When I begin to tell stories I find that my friends aren’t as excited as I am. I know it’s because they weren’t there to experience it in person. They can only rely on my imaginative mind, and pictures to paint the island memories. For me those memories will never be forgotten. Each island has its own unforgettable memory.

No comments: