Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thespian Society

During my senior year, I was inducted into the thespian society at my high school for being in the school musical. The thespian society was notorious for wearing leg warmers, singing across the halls, and making a scene out of every issue, but I didn't feel obligated to do any of those things to belong. What made this a significant subculture to me was our interactions with one another. Whenever I would talk to any other thespian member, we would discuss movies, our drama teacher, or how we could improve on our acting; things that I considered personal that none of my other friends would even pretend to care about because to them, drama was another form of playing video games, or playing chess.
It was in the moments when the cast would meet on stage where we were the truest form of ourselves. I believe that is when the thespian society became its own subculture, not just by what we wore, or sang or rehearsed, but because together, we were able to open up to one another in ways that only that stage is worthy enough to know.
I still identify myself as a thespian even though I graduated and whenever I talk to my fellow thespians, we reflect on the memories we had and sing with one another. Even though there are thespians across the country, I identify with my thespian subculture formed at my high school.
I still feel apart of my high school thespian subculture and share the innate connection and passion for drama and the memories left on that stage.

1 comment:

Caroline Lawrence said...

I really liked this, because it is something that I can relate to. I have a connection with people from high school solely because of drama, but I'm so happy because of it. They are people that I will never forget, and hopefully never fall out of contact with.