I grew up with an "old fashion" life style calling people Mr. and Mrs. but when I turned 13 I knew I wanted tattoos and ever since then tattoos have been a very big part of my life. I started printing out tattoo flashes and pining them up all over my walls, my mother hated it. When i was about 16 no one in my family but my cousin, Meghan, had a tattoo and she was frowned upon by most of our family. This never changed my mind about tattoos, I knew what I wanted. Even with having tattoos I am still living an "old fashion" lifestyle, which a lot of people are surprised about.
Many people, even my grandparents, look at my naked pin-up tattoo on my arm and look at me in discus, but they really don't know how much it means to me. That tattoo means the world to me, I got it for my grandpa because he passed away eight years ago and it was the pin-up painted on his WWII bomber plane. See tattoos can have many different meanings and people need to understand that, but that does not stop me from getting something that means the world to me. This is why I believe in body art.
Body art doesn't need to have meanings but most do. So when some one has a tattoo I love to find out the story behind it or why they got it. Body art helps people get through life and makes life interesting. I know when I'm 80 my tattoos will look hilarious and nothing like they did when I got them, but i will always remember those times in my life. This is why I believe in Body art.
3 comments:
I too believe in body art!! I have an ever growing collection of tattoos & while I know that they will fade and look nothing like what they orginally did by the time my life is over, they are a part of me and something that I will carry with me always. They also represent part of who I am as an individual and the person I was when I got them.
I think that in today's modern times, tattoos are new form of "personal advertising" and while they show off the tattoo artist's personal style & artform - they also show off who an individual is to the rest of the world. I don't think that there will ever be a time when I too will not believe in body art.
Agreed! When we had to write 10 things we belived in, tattoos were third on my list. I don't have any yet, but I plan on getting many. And when I first saw yours I totally wanted to ask what it meant to you and why you got it. I think that was an awesome way to commemorate your grandpa! I too, have been thinking of tattoo designs for my grandpa that I lost 5 years ago. Good post Dan!
Ha weird! I just posted my blog "I believe in tattoos" and now I was skimming through our classmates blogs and just saw that you wrote a similar topic, so sorry. but I really appreciate what you have to say. I also feel that tattoos are a form of art, a way to express someones identity and individuality. I have noticed yours in class and am really intrigued by them!
Post a Comment