Monday, September 29, 2008

"Scrub-A-Dub-Dub Sparkle Spa's in the Club"

Club Libby Lu isn’t just a store, it’s my job. It’s been my job for 2 years now, and although it’s still a work, I never want to leave. Not everyone sees the Lu how I see it. You’d be surprised at how many times I’ve heard people call the store a “whore-maker”. I’ve even found that if you Google “Club Libby Lu”, you’ll be sure to come across blogs bad-mouthing what we do. People like to blow the situation out of proportion. We do girls’ hair and makeup; we also have dress-up outfits for them to borrow for the time being. About a year ago our dress-up clothes (I must admit) were terribly inappropriate. But since then they’ve been a lot better.
Besides all of the bad things, Libby Lu is definitely its own subculture. We always meet at the same place (the store) and we have our own language. Basically everyone at the store has a higher pitch when they talk to customers. We also end everything in the word “fairy”. For example, if you were assigned to work on a party, you’re referred to as a “party fairy”. Or if you’re supposed to work the register then you’re referred to as “register fairy”; along with the other jobs we have in the store. We also always have a fun way to answer the phone, usually embarrassing. For example, right now we have to say “Club Libby Lu is your Halloween headquarters. This is your costume queen Lauren, how may I help you?” We also used to say “Scrub-A-Dub-Dub Sparkle Spa’s in the Club”… yeah, that was fun. All in all we aren’t what people say we are (in negative terms). I see it through a different point of view and how we make little girls feel special for the day.

No comments: