Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I Believe In Ham!!

When I was just a little girl, Christmas and Thanksgiving meant so much to me. I am sure that my anxiousness for such holidays seem typical for any child to cherish, however, I would like to think of myself as unique, for I am a tad bit different. My anticipation for the delicious ham being cooked for that special day contributes to much of my anxiousness. On Thanksgiving, most people enjoy the roasting, frying, or baking of Turkey. In fact, turkey is a symbol for Thanksgiving Day, well not for me, ham is My symbol forever and always!! Ham is my must-have, as a matter of fact, my holiday does not feel complete without the aroma, the slicing, the sometimes sweet, always savory ham. 
Though Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, Christmas holds first place in my eyes. For it doesn't have its symbolic entree, and I can give it one: Ham. Because of these two holidays, families are re-united, reminiscing about the past, joking and laughing, stuffing their face with food; my face stuffed with ham. On the Eve of Christmas, I have always yearned to open my gifts, and I recall days before, always ensuring that my mother put ham on her list. I remember her preparing the sides: dressing, macaroni, cornbread, greens, and others, to accentuate MY ham. :) I distinctly recall her placing the ham on a pan. My mommy always knew that my main dish was ham, therefore, she would make as much possible effort to put it in the oven as early as possible so that when I awoke the following morning, it would be ready!! No matter how late I went to sleep, I remember waking up as early as five or six, running to the kitchen, swinging the oven door open, and my mouth instantly watering, for I still would have to wait a minute too long. 
Forgive me, I am being too general, allow me to be more specific, I believe in smoked ham. It's flavor tends to accentuate the sides. My mother has,before, ventured out and decided to try the spiraled honey ham, and though it too was delicious, it was not MY smoked ham. 
On Christmas and Thanksgiving, I love gathering with my family, I enjoy the conversations we share, the laughter we establish, and to add to the glory, I have to have MY ham... smoked ham that is!!  

No comments: