Sunday, September 21, 2008
I Believe in Graffiti
I believe in graffiti. The idea of drawing on walls as been around since the cavemen, which makes graffiti one of the world’s oldest art forms. As mankind evolved, so did graffiti. From the carved images in the walls of ancient Rome and Egypt, to tagged city buildings found around Chicago, graffiti has definitely advanced and grown over time. I believe in graffiti because it forces you to take notice of it. It is on your street corners on your way to class. It is right outside your window. Graffiti is an art form which stalks you, but I don’t want a restraining order from it. It is always there when you need it, like a good friend. It turns the area around you into an free showing at an art museum. It is incredible to watch being created can cause an absolute rush. The thought of an artistic vandalism screams excitement. Graffiti was actually one of the reasons why I chose to come to Columbia. I remember the train ride to the airport after visiting the college. As we were passing by different buildings I was admiring all the graffiti around me. I had never really thought about it before, but it really was outstanding work. To the artist who created the graffiti, it wasn’t just spray-paint on the wall, it was their artistic expression and they were willing to risk arrest for it. I believe in graffiti because when it comes to this urban art form, there are unlimited possibilities and the world is your canvas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really liked your article about Graffiti. It made my look at "wall art" or also known as "graffiti" in a different way. I guess I always assosiate graffiti with gangs and other bad things. But I totally love how you broke that impresssion.
I must admit I love graffiti too. I hope your blog will open people's minds to the world of graffiti. I love hopeful street art despite what people say it does to the city.
Post a Comment