Monday, September 22, 2008

I Believe in Tattoos

I believe in tattoos. I believe that tattoos are a form of self expression; a form of art. I currently have two tattoos and will be getting another one in a couple weeks. For me, they are a recorded history of my life. My tattoos have special meaning to me. They signify important events that have happened in my life or represent personal beliefs that I value. They are a reflection of my personality. They are always there; to constantly remind me of who I am and to never loose touch of that.
Many people do not like tattoos. Some find them "dirty"; others believe that it is a sin to permanently stain your body; I understand those views. I may not believe in them but I have accepted them. However, just as I understand why some people dislike it, I believe people should not judge me based on just my appearance alone. I am not ashamed of the art that is on my body. I believe that, in society, the people that surround you cannot dictate your life. It is the individual who has to follow his or her own path.
At times I do wonder if I did make the right decision my tattooing my body. I do wonder what others think of me when they see I have tattoos. But, then, I realize that I cannot be influenced by what other people think. I believe that only I should be concerned with what I feel, not what others think. What is important to me is that I have no regrets. It is my body and my personal beliefs. All that matters is that the people who are important to me know that just because I have tattoos does not make me any different then someone who does not have any. What is important to know is that a tattoo does not change a person. Tattoos are a personal opinion and everyone has a right to his or her own opinion. I believe in tattoos.

1 comment:

Caroline Lawrence said...

I love this, and, being a person with a tattoo of meaning, I completely agree with everything she said.