My father has influenced me the most in my life. Since I was born, my dad has been faced with many negative obstacles that he has been required to overcome. When I was 2, my uncle suffered from an aneurysm. My father was the one who made sure he had a home to live in, and money to support him. When I was 5 his father died, and when I was 10, his best friend died of lung cancer. During my years in junior high were the toughest on him, because just 3 months shy of my 13th birthday my mother died. And just as everything started to settle down, his mother died when I was 16 years old. During all of these hardships, I never once saw my father cry. When people would ask him how he was handling everything so well, he would simply reply with, “I love my daughter, and am trying to be as strong as I can for her.”
I was taught to be independent, but it was never forced upon me. He gave me my space to grow and mature at my own pace, and I gave him my promise that he could trust me. He was always able to provide for me, working hard at his job 45+ hours a week. He’s my role model. He’s my best friend. He’s my mentor. But most importantly, I am the most proud that I am able to call him my father.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment