Of all the people who have made a difference in my life, the first person that immediately comes to my mind is my mom. Words cannot describe the influence my mom has had on me throughout my entire life. Along with being my best friend, she has also been someone that I can turn to for support and advice. Those who know us say that we are practically like sisters- we look and act the same way. I remember when I was a little girl, I was always amazed by everything she did. Whatever my mom would do, I would follow in her footsteps. And then, suddenly, our lives changed dramatically.
I was a freshman in high school when my mom was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. It's always a terrible thing to see anyone suffer but when it's someone you love and care about, the pain feels so much worse. In the first stages of my mom's diagnosis, I remember how strong she was. She never once said she was afraid of what might come; her motto was just to take each day at a time. Even while she suffered daily with pain throughout her entire body, she never once complained. As a daughter and a friend, the only thing I could do was helplessly watch as my mom built up the strength and courage to continue on with her everyday life. Whether it was doing household chores to running errands to even continuing to work at her job, never once did she give up.
Seeing what my mom was gone through these past five years has allowed me to become a better and stronger person. She has given me the strength and determination to succeed in life- to follow my dreams and to never forget what I believe in. I now know that there isn't anything I can't do. If there's one thing I've learned from my mom it's as long as I put my mind to something, I can do anything. Although there was much sadness in my family's life when my mom got diagnosed, we have realized the importance of being involved in each others lives and uniting together as one. My admiration and love for my mom will last an eternity. Thank you for everything you have taught me.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment