Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Age of AIDs.

As one of the most controversial issues faced today, AIDs, is no longer just an epidemic but rather a pandemic. The article I chose to read was “The Age of AIDs” which can be viewed on FRONTLIES top news stories. This marks the 25th anniversary of the first diagnosed cases of AIDS. In this article Dr. David Ho M.D. shares his insights on how deadly and serious this disease is. He states many times that the media for years has been shy from the public on how rapidly spreading, and serious this issue is. He’s seen time and time again, young men typically ‘homosexual’ deal with this fatal disease. Although in the world many people don’t feel too affected by the pandemic. It no longer is safe to say that the only cases are in countries of Africa. Currently 30 million people worldwide have died from the disease. It has reached its way across seas to the United States, and rapidly killing off young men, women, and children who carry the virus. I choose this article specifically because three years ago a close relative of mine was diagnosed with HIV. The news came as a complete shock and heart break. My young twenty-three year old cousin who seemed healthy was now getting treatments for HIV. I spoke with my cousin about the issue after months of counseling. He said that if he could ever go back in time he’d never have unprotected sex. He said that being a “young adult” you can never be too careful. I chose this article and this story because this is an issue that is dear to me. He wants everyone to know that in college you’ll be “expected” to sleep around. If that is the case, use protection and make sure you know who you’re sleeping with. I have learned a lot through speaking with him, and have a better understanding of how deadly this disease has truly come. I personally feel that by being aware, being safe, and never by having unprotected sex will help defeat this disease.

1 comment:

Bianca Word said...

Your blog was really heartfelt, and I am sorry for your cousin. Your hurt and sincerity are felt and I truly hope others will learn from it. : )