Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Family is My Subculture...

My subculture happens to be my pride and joy-- my family... The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines family as: 1. A group of persons of common ancestry  2. A social group composed of parents and their children. Maybe this is why I find myself spending so much time with them. There's something about these definitions that warmed my heart instantly. The closeness of family has a mass amount of significance because it is the only category that stands alone and can not be altered. Many people become close to friends, therefore, they take it upon themselves to call them family. Though this relationship is 100% possible, no matter how close one becomes to a friend, the ability to be any closer, I presume is impossible. 
I have always been known as an individual who puts her family first. On holidays, you could not find me anyplace else but with my family. When I was a child, most children my age would, without hesitation, go to a friend's house if invited. They would think about having fun, but, so long as I had my presents, I was already having fun, my family added completion to my happiness. I am unsure why I have always been such a homebody, but that is and always will be me. Family is the most accurate explanation as to why I did not go any more than an hour away for College. 
I suppose that the idea of family is, to me, a subculture in itself because not everyone could identify with the relationship I take pride in--my family. However, some probably could, which is why it is a SUB-culture. Family is a culture because it characterizes every part of society. No matter how close one may feel or how distant, everyone can say they have family, if not, they have an idea of it. My family has neither a particular language nor a way of dressing. Our language is love and we speak it through our actions, our support, our words of wisdom. I don't change much around my family because I am comfortable with myself. I don't have to monitor my language because I do not use profanity when I am with my friends, therefore, I am not altering my character much. 
I am sure that the individuals who do not fall under my subculture can still become knowledgeable of it and understand it because FAMILY is everywhere, the appreciation of it merely falls under one's experience... I am my family, my family is me!! : )         

No comments: