Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"i'LL DO iT LATER"

The subculture that I know that I belong to is that of procrastinaters. I don't exactly remember when I became part of this subculture but I know that I was a procastinater all throughout high school and not just when it cames to things like school work. Doing chores, when I was younger and then when I got older and received my driver's license, running (un-fun) errands for my parents. One of my favorite phrases became "Okay. I'll do it later." Which was such a load of crap and I knew it. I said it because not only did I know that it was the next best answer to give to my parents besides "Okay. I'll do it right now." But it was also the answer that allowed for an undeclosed amount of time to pass between the time I said that I'd do whatever was asked of me later and the actual "later" time that I did what was asked of me.
Of course, my parents caught on - in ways that only parents can. And I'd get yelled at for not doing what I had been told to do. Typical teenager vs. parent scenerios. But it wasn't until my junior year of high school that I began to realize how much my procrastinating was starting to bleed into my school work. At my high school, junior year English meant two thing...(1) ACT/SAT prep that we'd have to sit through and waste class days on and (2) the Junior Research Paper. That paper was more feared than the nuns that would substitute classes at my Catholic college prep high school. There wasn't a single kid in any junior english class that looked forward to doing that paper. Pretty much the entire first sememster of junior english is devoted entirely to that paper. It is the main focus of every english teacher and it is the nightmare that haunts the dreams of every junior.
Well, as you might have suspected, I procrastinated. I started out doing really well. But then, when the work became more and more of an independent project - where the teacher was only available to talk about your paper before or after school via appointment - is where I started downhill with my work pace and the procrastination really kicked in. My mother, to this day, calls it my "pre-senioritis". I don't really want to give that much credit to my lazyiness. Which is what I think that procrastination is - just a fancy word for being lazy. My paper was finished the night before it was due. I barely passed. It turned out to be more opinion looking and sounding rather than being filled with citations and looking like a research paper. I know that I would've gotten a better grade on that paper had I not decided that "I'll do it later."

No comments: