Thursday, September 4, 2008

Challenge of Attendance

There have been any in my life who have lend my down the beaten path that I call life, but there has only been one who has given me something that no one else can, my Grandfather. I learned at a very young age that my Grandfather had done something I thought was incredible. He had gone from kindergarten through high school with no missed days of school. He told me that if I tried very hard he could see me beating his recorded, and from that moment on my goal of beating his attendance record was forefront in my mind. When I was younger my father was active in the navy, which caused us to move around allot, and forced me to change schools very often. Despite our large number of moves however I still manage to be in school every single day. On days when I felt a little under the weather I would convince my mom that I was fine. To me a few coughs were nothing, he after all gave me the challenge and I was going to beat it. My Grandfather inspired me in a way that no one else had. He put me to the challenge of beating his record, and proving to me school is very important I a persons life. At my graduation they announced that I had perfect attendance from kindergarten at the way through high school. My Grandfather congratulated me on both achievements and told me to keep it up and set a new family record. I value the little thing like that, a simple mans goal of attending everyday of school turning into a special bond between Grandfather and son. He is the most influential person in my life and because of him putting me to the test the records at 2343 consecutive school days and counting.
Rob Puttkammer

No comments: