Friday, September 12, 2008

Kids on Drugs

            Prescribing medication for children is a very controversial decision. Some parents feel that it is a necessary action to help their child concentrate in school and function better in social situations. Others disagree and believe that the use of medication at such an early age is damaging and dangerous. Both sides have very valid arguments and cases to back them up. In the Frontline story, they documented the experiences of four children and their stories of medication. For some of the children, the results were miraculous, but for others, the medicine made their condition worse. I noticed that in all of the cases presented, it was up the parents to decide whether or not medication was the right choice for the children. I, however, personally believe that although can have say in the decision it should ultimately be up to the child who will be affected by the drugs.

            Growing up, I also experienced the hardships of ADHD. As early as grade school I was put on a variety of stimulants to help me with my daily work. I must say that both my parents and I did see dramatic results. It was then concluded that the drugs were the best choice for me. However, it wasn’t until early in high school when I wanted to try a life without the constant side effects of prescription drugs. The transition was difficult but I learned to adjust. This why I believe that in order for the use of drugs to be effective and yet acceptable, they should be used in a specific time frame. The over all goal should be that the child be eventually weaned away from these drugs and not become dependent on them. 

2 comments:

Destine said...

Hey i agree!..Were you ever ashamed or anything? Like did anyone ever tease you...if so how did you react?...and how did you feel?.........Cool story tho!!!

Anonymous said...

I think this was another good article for me to read. Also, being a child who suffered from mild "ADHD" everyone always made fun of me. Now that I'm older I've been able to deal with it, and not take any medicine. Good article!
Andy