Thursday, September 25, 2008

Marching-Culture

For the four years I went to my high school I was involved with many sub-cultures The one that sticks out to me the most would be my involvement with the Marching Band. Now I think of this group as a sub-culture mainly because the seasons, for Marching Band, are so long that we, its members, start to look at each other as a family. Our seasons always began on June 27 and went to January of the next year. During the school year we would have practice from 3p.m. to 6p.m. every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, with an additional Saturday practice from 9a.m. to 2p.m. depending on whether or not there was a show we needed to be at. We would be on school buses at 3a.m. huddling together for warmth, as we made our way home from a show. To say the least, we were around each other allot. We started to develop our own language, in a sense, through the use of in side jokes and stories. We all become good friends and were all, in a lot of ways, similar to everyone else who was in it. Even when walking through the halls during school we would sometimes scream out random things only known by someone in the Marching Band, and then receive the confused looks from everyone else but then laugh at how many people heard it and understood it later that day at practice. It's really nice knowing that there are exactly 198 people around the school you know can help you with a problem. Having that sort of connection is very neat. I choose this sub-culture also because it was one of two that defined who I am to day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob,
What a nice piece of work you have here. I can see that this "sub-culture" was an important part of our high school career. For the past four years, you had dedication to the Marching-Culture. Great job!

Elena said...

I had a friend in marching band during high school. I know exactly what you're talking about. They even made t-shirts with their slogans and inside jokes on them.