Monday, September 22, 2008

I Believe in Halloween (& Everything That Comes With It)


I believe in the wonderful world of Halloween and all the extras that come with it. This holiday just happens to be my favorite, and nothing in this world can ever take the place it has in my heart. Halloween is the one day a year when you can transform into anyone you want! Superman... you got it; Vampire... why the hell not? I know I’ve been the Disney princess, Jasmine, twice—plus the many other assortments of costumes. Be who you please because it’s the one occasion people can’t give you any hard time about.

When I walk into Halloween stores, its no longer just a place for me to shop, it acts as a vision of what my future house will look like all October long, straight through to Christmas. You always hear of that family that engulfs their home in lights and other decorations for the winter holidays, well my house will be the one that becomes haunted from October on. There’s something about Halloween and the season itself that brings out my true identity. I live for this time of year. As a child I was introduced to the movie Halloween by my cousins. I’ll never forget the first time I saw it, even if I don’t recall that entire day, I remember that moment. Each time I see that Halloween is on, I change the channel immediately. It never matters how many times I’ve seen them, or will see them; or the fact that sometimes they scare me and sometimes they make me laugh, all that matters is that they make me feel SOMETHING… something that’s real.

Halloween itself brings a thrill. The whole holiday is built around the art of scaring people. For me it’s like a giant month-long rollercoaster. It starts out slow, putting up decorations here and there… building up for the main event. And at a certain time its shot into motion. For me, it all begins when my family and I go to Bengston’s pumpkin farm. We’ve been going there since I was a baby and the attractions might still be the same and some even falling apart, but the memories that it holds will always be in my heart. All in all, Halloween doesn’t get the credit it deserves. Some people even feel they grow out of it. But I know I can rely on it coming every year on October 31st, and that is why I believe in Halloween.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your article!
I also love Halloween.
I can't wait for this years Halloween, not to mention being in Chicago!
Great work!

Donny T said...

you and I could potentially have the most fun ever this halloween.
the only reason other holidays preceed halloween is because you get presents.
Halloween is something to show who you really are even if it is behind a costume.
we should co-ordinate a Halloween day in writing and rhetoric. could be awesome with all the costumes.

Krist Daniel said...

Wow, its nice to see someone out there that really appreciates the Holiday just as much as I do! It is truly a day where you can be whoever or whatever you want! It'll be my first time celebrating it here in Chicago and I really am stoked about it. None the less Very nice article. :)