As a Latina, there are certain legacies I do not want to inherit. I do not want to inherit the prejudices my grandmothers had to endure and the laughs they got whenever they spoke. But as a Latina, I do want to inherit the passion, strength, and cultural pride that make up who my mother is.
Growing up, every girl’s worst fear is to grow up to become their mother. And I too, was trying to stay clear from that demise. But as I started maturing I began to wonder what it was exactly that I was afraid to inherit. I had noticed that she laid down her life for my family. With only a high school diploma, my mother sacrificed her own education so that my father could continue on to college. When she speaks to us she comes with a humble tone, only trying to guide us, not to control us. Her love is shown not just when she says the words, but I can taste her love in the food she makes, I can feel the love in the support she gives me. My mother has influenced me and shaped me to be strong, yet caring, collected, yet passionate; and I no longer carry that fear with me that I will someday become her, but wait for that day to come.
-By: Angelica Chavez
No comments:
Post a Comment