Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Let There Be Metal

I am part of the “Metal Head” subculture.  This subculture consists of people who listen to metal music.   Our attire usually consists of blue jean shorts, a black t-shirt and long hair.  We are very educated about the music we listen to.  We know almost every member of every band that we listen to.  There aren’t too many metal heads in the world.  The metal head population will often be found in an underground venue where bands are playing.  I am very proud to be a part of this subculture.  Everyone in this subculture have many things in common.  Many times I will find myself meeting a stranger who listens to metal music, because it is very easy to spot metal heads on the street.  With any other stranger, I usually just make small talk with them and walk away; but when I find out they listen to metal, I can find myself talking with them for a very long time.  I think everyone in the metal head subculture automatically bond together as do people with any other subculture.  This is very impressive to me, because metal heads tend to not talk very much, especially when around talkative people.  Metal heads also do not care about self image at all.  It’s not that we don’t care about how we present ourselves in public, it’s just that we’re too lazy to do anything about it.   That’s what being a metal head means.

I would not say that I turned myself into a metal head on purpose, but it kind of just happened.  I started listening to metal in 8th grade.  Soon after that I started buying t-shirts with my favorite bands on them.  Being that every metal band’s shirt is black, my wardrobe quickly became blanketed with the dark unknown shadow that is the essence of the metal head.

2 comments:

wschaffeld said...

I really like the name "Metal Head"! I feel like it paints a very good picture of the sub-culture and the people in it. I bet it's awesome being able to identify other Metal Heads so easily.

Lauren Jones said...

I really appreciate and value your beliefs on the "metal head" culture. I have always been intrigued with how everyone within the group shares so many common interests that go beyond the preferred musical style.