Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Living Online
Tonight I sat down at my computer, looked up my assignment, and watched the FRONTLINE video "Growing Up Online" all while being distracted by messages online. Internet has transformed the way we learn, communicate, express ourselves, and socialize which is the point that "Growing Up Online" wanted to get across. I don't think it is ridiculous that parents are so concerned for their children's safety on the web because it is new and some don't know how to use it. I believe that the internet is a great tool and is shaping culture. Social websites sometimes seem to consume teenagers lives but parents can try to minimize their child's online time. Of course we have heard all of the media about cyber bullying and sexual predators but since my parents and teachers have constantly reminded me to be careful online I know what to do when someone I don't trust tries to contact me. Younger children are more effected by cyber bullying and a confused child could be looking for an online companionship who can turn out to be a predator to relieve their loneliness. Children should be educated and monitored by their parents until they are mature enough to understand the dangers they face. Looking back a few years I know I wouldn't want my mom intruding on my online life but if children know that their parents have their passwords they will definitely be more careful. I believe a larger problem that they didn't mention in the video was that pictures put up online can be seen by the people who may be looking to employ you. I have studied they ways that businesses are starting to get "switched on" to the online world. This video has reminded me how much has changed in the last couple of years because of the internet. Everything around us is changing and it is hard to tell what crazy advancement we will see next. The Internet is an amazing way to explore the world around us but us teenagers need to remember that there is more to life than "poking" people and sending "bumper stickers" on Facebook.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment