Do you think the type of car tells a lot about the person who drives it? Have you ever wondered what kind of people driving Bentleys and Rolls Royce are truly like? Are they all just wealthy, snooty, and arrogant kind of people? With this assumption, it's easy to believe that they are the kind of people that we all "love to hate" for no reason, other than the fact that they're driving in an expensive car. First impressions aside, I don't think it's always the case.
Meet Fabio! While driving back home this weekend to my hometown in Iowa, I was enjoying the scenic view of the cars and people inside of them. While driving I began to think about what a car tells you about a person. Sitting in the intense bumper-to-bumper traffic, my eyes became fixed on a brand new black Bentley Continental GT. Everything about it was amazing, from the shiny color to the chrome wheels, simply breathtaking. The car was screaming, "HALF A MILLION," at least!
I then found my eyes looking at a young mid 30-year-old man in the drivers seat. He was dressed in all black sporting large black aviator sunglasses. From the looks of him, he was a lawyer who graduated from Harvard who made it big in Chicago. Like everyone else, he was just trying to get home to see his family, most likely in a suburb nearby. I knew from his ring on his left hand, he was married and had a few smaller children. In the back window I saw a sticker, which read, "What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive." He seems like the typical wealthy lawyer who likes to play golf and dine at the Country Club. Yet everyone has a back-story. Something about him told me he wasn't like they typical "rich snob." At the age of 30, I don't think he has everything he wants. Glaring into his rear-view mirror, he probably sees himself as an average American, struggling to provide for his family during these economic troubles. After a hard days work, his kids and wife are the first thing on his mind. Like me, this traffic was preventing him of reaching his favorable destination.
Judgments don't necessary make someone a bad person. It's what a person does with those preconceived judgments that really describes ones character.
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i like what you said at the end about judgements
I agree allot with what your saying. I personally think that stereotypes are just something society does naturally and you cant really change it.
Post a Comment