The article that I read was titled "Shyness Is Nice" and it is by Dana Stevens. It is actually a review of the recently released movie "Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist". Stevens writes as though she is participating in a college classroom discussion. There are some "big words" that she uses, that I'll admit I had to look up some synonyms for some words in order to understand what they mean. But overall, the average college student would be the most likely target audience for Stevens' writing style. Her references to the novel that the movie script is based off of, and with whom it also bares the same name, is one that few people would get unless having already read the novel. The overall tone is one that isn't so easy to pin-point. It becomes harder and harder to decode how Stevens really feels, especially in the middle of the article. She tends to bounce between basically calling it the same-old teenage romantic comedy to it being a movie that you can let yourself get lost in and really enjoy.
And then, toward the end of the article, Stevens goes into a rather detailed rundown of Michael Cera's (the lead male role) career. And how with every movie this young actor stars in he is constantly being referred to as "pigon-held" or "type-cast". Which is true, there prolly isn't one article that I have read about him or any of the roles that he has played that hasn't made reference to him always choosing to play the same role over and over again. But doesn't that beg the question: "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" This kid cannot even legally drink in the United States yet, and he's pulling in millions of dollars per picture that he makes - where, as most critics say, he's just playing the same kid just with a different name and slightly new problems. I say more power to him. Stevens, however, after stating that he's basically played the same role throughout his career decides to confess her undying love for him. And I laughed. I couldn't help but to laugh - at no one but my computer screen - but I still did it. Her article, while well worded, seems to be the work of a bipoloar writer. She can't really decide how to feel about the movie as a whole, but she hearts Michael Cera so in the end, I guess it's all good.
What I really actually enjoyed about the article, is that while it is detailed and conveys the plot in an easy to follow manor - it still didn't make me NOT want to see this movie. It didn't ruin it for me - which is the problem that I find with reading most movie reviews today. One of the big appeals to this movie, I find, isn't just that the characters are around my age and therefore it is easier for me to relate and become emotionally invested in the story but also that I find that there is a "infinite playlist" or "soundtrack" to my life. And while it only really plays in my own mind, it's nice to know that maybe I'm not the only one out there who songs (that just so happen to fit whatever the situation/scene is perfectly) playing in their mind
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment