The picture above is a picture that is featured in the Museum of Modern Art. It’s called Catherine Lying in Sauna. The reviewer is Mario Naves and he just describes the art piece itself. I chose this for many personal reasons. I originally was going to come to Columbia for photography. I used to always take pictures of my friends modeling, and the Catherine picture reminds me a lot of my own. One review I got from my photograph was that I shouldn’t have cut off the feet. And looking at my picture now I realize that it would look better with the feet—add some completion to it. I feel the same with Catherine. Maybe if the photographer added the feet the picture would feel more absolute.
The reviewer for the picture I picked did not talk much about it at all. He knew about the artist’s past work and their view, but not the picture itself. He just… described it. He does however talk about the artist and how she “places women who are no one's idea of supermodels in the mildewed environs of a Russian bathhouse in lower Manhattan.” For the photo I took—that I’ve been comparing the professional one to—I also, took a girl who doesn’t completely belong in the modeling world and stuck her in a bath tub. It helped picking this picture because I relate so much to it in way that I never imagined.
The reviewer for the picture I picked did not talk much about it at all. He knew about the artist’s past work and their view, but not the picture itself. He just… described it. He does however talk about the artist and how she “places women who are no one's idea of supermodels in the mildewed environs of a Russian bathhouse in lower Manhattan.” For the photo I took—that I’ve been comparing the professional one to—I also, took a girl who doesn’t completely belong in the modeling world and stuck her in a bath tub. It helped picking this picture because I relate so much to it in way that I never imagined.
No comments:
Post a Comment