Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Depression Stage

You would be suprised at the percentage of medical students that have thought about suicide and doing drugs.
It has been researched that 2,000 medical students hace encountered the symptoms of experiencing a BURNOUT. Many showed signs of depression and a decrease of mental intelligence compared with peers not in medical school. I found this article to be very interesting because most young adults of our generation tend to give up more easily than the generation before us. Again, it is my opinion and I feel that the our parents generation found ways to survive in certain situations and the found ways to make a living no matter what. However, those that attend school or college specifically in the Medical field take in these things and they know the side effects and consequences. Explained throughout this article it is quoted that "Sometimes it is the result of the process of medical education itself. Medical students are expected to master an enormous volume of knowledge—more than can possibly be achieved". I feel that these experiences can become overwhelming for some young adults. It can cause them to develop a lack of confidence. Likewise, trying to stay focused can be very hard and could be a very difficult position to be in. Personally, I have never encountered any suicidal attempts or thoughts. I have came across several depressing stages while in school due to the load of work. Also, because of what was required of me. Like others, my parents have high expectations for me, therefore trying to impress them can become a real job. There has been plenty of times when I felt as if my parents or teachers didn't accept my work or who I am. In thisI case, my stressing moments developed earlier than I expected but discovered ways to work around them. I couldn't imagine attempting to commit suicide in any way. I believe it is a terrible sight to see the way many young adults and students become so demoralized over these things. Fortunately, as the writer Syndey Speisel researched the facts behind this, she suggested that sometimes things do get better. Her article includes "Checking in a year later, the researchers found that about one-quarter of the students who experienced earlier burnout had recovered and showed a decrease in suicidal thoughts". Ultimately, this could be a awful experience for some but a learning experience for others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think thats a good way of expressing your ideals about the depression stage your essay was intresing