Monday, October 13, 2008

Larry "Fortune" Reynolds

My name is Lawrence Reynolds. My friends call me Larry, but my best friends call me "Fortune". I was born and raised in Chicago, but my mother and father were from the south. My mother was from northern Tennessee while my father was from Southern Kentucky. They both lived right on the state line so this made them neighbors. The fence separating their two houses actually was the state line. I can remember my father claiming to be "the best kisser in all of Kentucky" because he could "kiss my mother all the way in Tennessee." My parents raised me well, but I made some bad choices when I was younger. I left home when I was 19 to make it on my own. They always wanted me to go to school, but I figure you learn the most important things in grade school so there is no point in continuing. 

I just turned 38 last month. I haven't been able to get a steady job under me yet, but I'm still trying.  I ride the red line every day from Harrison to Wilson. I sit in the back of the train with my rolled up news paper. I never read the paper, but I just enjoy holding it, wringing it in my hands. I've had these sneakers on my feet for quite some time now. As you can see, I walk an awful lot in them. They are pretty dirty but still hold up for the most part. I got the nick name Fortune because I can always tell where someone is going. Like a couple years ago, I convinced my friend Camillo to buy a lottery ticket, just because I just had this crazy feeling. Sure enough he won $200 that very night. He ending up spending all of it on alcohol within a couple of days, but he still asks me every now and then if its a lucky day or not. Ever since that day, he branded me "Fortune".  However, my own fortune hasn't always been so kind to me. 

I was married for 2 years back when I was 26. Her name was Rachelle. Those 2 years were the happiest years of my life. Sadly, it didn't work out towards the end. She was just unhappy, and I could tell. I decided to let her go. All I know is that she went back to school. I haven't heard from her since. That is the last thing I ever saw coming. You could even that I was "fortune's fool". 

Right now, I live in a small apartment in Wilson by myself. I'm thinking about getting a dog...

2 comments:

Chas Mizer said...

I like how you made the point of view from Larry's eyes. i think a dog would make a good friend for him. He should get one.

Rob Puttkammer said...

Your very descriptive, for a moment there I started to think if you really followed this man home and everywhere else...CREEPER!! No, just kidding, very nice though.