Friday, October 3, 2008

Hmm...How do bloggers make money??

I came across the article, "Blogging for Dollars--How do bloggers make money?" by Michael Agger and got drawn in by the question that has always been lurking around in my head..how do bloggers actually make money??
This article explains the revenues of blogging, via advertisements or viewers simply clicking to the next page, allowing the blog to get a name for itself. Agger explains though that while blogging might bring in good money and be appealing for those who like to write to inform others with no constraits, the pressure to deliver fresh news the quickest could become overwhelming. Agger delivers this information in a casual, almost cynical voice. Agger challenges the audience to ask themselves if they are getting the blogs they deserve, or a "general increase in information pollution." This shows Agger's frustration with blogs becoming wealthier and more popular by delivering half-baked news and recycled ideas. The author sets the article in a sarcastic tone, which allows the reader to second guess the validity of blogs.
I believe Agger is addressing any fan of blogs, whether they are educated, young, or a mom of ten. Agger targets his audience of all backgrounds by including blogs such as "Perez Hilton" for the younger audience, "Parenting," and "News 2.0" for anyone else who wants the quickest news at arms length. This article was very informative and got its message across, addressing all those out there who are blog fanatics, or who look with guilty pleasure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your acticle very interesting. I always wanted to know, how you can make a living off blogging. But after reading, I get a deeper understanding, and I've heard of "Prez Hilton" and he does very well with his blogging.

Lauren Rady said...

I too was really interested to know how bloggers made money. My TV arts teacher told me his friend made a lot of money doing it, but I never understood how. Good article!!