I’m sure you’ve all seen the commercials for NuvaRing, a newly popular method of birth control. Yes, the commercial with that catchy days-of-the-week tune that always seems to get stuck in my head. I was drawn to this article, obviously, because I’m a girl and things like this concern me, but also because I’m a television major and Torie Bosch, the writer, went into great detail about the commercial itself. She goes into detail about the commercial portraying regular birth control pills as a thing of the past. Bosch first talks about how they make taking a pill everyday seem strenuous compared to NuvaRing, which is only changed once every three weeks. Not only does it make the pill seem difficult, the commercial also has strong imagery that Bosch points out. The girls synchronized swimming represents a sport of conformity, and rejects individuality. Then when one girl decides to break away, she turns her one-piece bathing suit into a bikini and shakes her hair out of her swim cap. The one-piece and the bathing cap aren’t there just for fun, they’re actually subconsciously representing the past, and it’d make you “hip” or “cool” to break away and try NuvaRing.
I myself have never noticed the strong representation of all the surroundings of the animated girls, I just always get that damn song stuck in my head. Now that Bosch has pointed them out, I can certainly see the thought that was put into the commercial. It was definitely a smart thing for the writers to do, in a sort of brainwashing way. Not that I believe in their technique, just the fact that I came across this article itself and being told almost the obvious.
I believe she’s talking to an older, humorous audience. I can see this mainly because its birth control, so many under the age of fifteen haven’t even had it cross their minds yet. I see the humor in it because her tone is sort of making-fun of the whole commercial itself. She’s basically pointing out the hidden secrets and the blatant flaws. Its amazing how much could be put into a 30 second commercial, and how quickly it can all be weeded out.
I myself have never noticed the strong representation of all the surroundings of the animated girls, I just always get that damn song stuck in my head. Now that Bosch has pointed them out, I can certainly see the thought that was put into the commercial. It was definitely a smart thing for the writers to do, in a sort of brainwashing way. Not that I believe in their technique, just the fact that I came across this article itself and being told almost the obvious.
I believe she’s talking to an older, humorous audience. I can see this mainly because its birth control, so many under the age of fifteen haven’t even had it cross their minds yet. I see the humor in it because her tone is sort of making-fun of the whole commercial itself. She’s basically pointing out the hidden secrets and the blatant flaws. Its amazing how much could be put into a 30 second commercial, and how quickly it can all be weeded out.
3 comments:
I started to read this article myself, and i personally started laughing my ass off.
To make something so serious as birth control so comical as that commercial did is something else to me.
I'm an advocate of prophylactics; don't get me wrong, babies are strange things, but to make this something so trivial as to be advertised on television like it is a part of some dull routine that needs to be spiced up with a plastic ring.
Sometimes I think advertising is the strangest thing, especially when considering the demographic this commercial is appealing to.
Love the analysis!
Hey to start off, this is a really interesting article that you picked.I kind of disagree to when you said that the audience might of been a more older group. Mainly,because while growing up I have known alot of young teenagers that are using birth control pills that are around 15. I knew of several young girls who were thinking about sex and have had sex at the age of fifteen. My friend had a baby in 6th grade so I think this article would definitely be for her. Overall, great details and there is alot of humor within this article. lol
Post a Comment