Monday, October 6, 2008
Should We Dispose of Disposals?
The article I chose to read is entitled, “Should We Dispose of Disposals?”, by Jacob Leibenluft. The article addresses the issue of whether or not garbage disposals should be banned completely from people's homes. The author gives reasons for someone to agree with why disposals should be banned and, at the same time, also gives reasons why someone would believe that disposals should not be banned. In the article, the author never gives his viewpoint on the subject, but rather, provides the reader with information which, in turn, allows them to decide what they want to believe. The article was very informative; Leibenluft was able to give the reader plenty of information which made the article a debatable subject. From the title alone, I feel that the author is more interested in what the people's opinions are on the topic verses him giving reasons why he does or doesn't feel garbage disposals should be eliminated from households. Overall, I feel that the voice in the article is causal based upon the topic. Although the topic is something that needs to be discussed, there are other things going on in the world that are more important and should be dealt with first (ie- economic recession, war, etc.). After reading the article, I don't really feel that the author uses any "quirky" or "out of place" words to describe the article because it is primarily more of an informative article. The tone is similar to a research paper because the author does not give his opinion on the topic; it is more formal, not witty or somber. I believe the audience is for anyone who is educated and informed about events going on in the world. I think that people who are familiar with this topic have taken the time to find out more about it; they have researched it through reading the newspaper or watching it on tv. Also, I don't think younger people would be interested in this topic because, for one thing, garbage disposals aren't something teenagers talk about on a daily basis. They have more important things to deal with like school, work, etc. Sooner or later, the topic of garbage disposals will have to be discussed, but, for now, there are many more important things that our people need to deal with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment