From the Eifel Tower and Mona Lisa to the temples in Japan I have been fortunate enough to be able to enjoy these works of art up close. Although I really appreciate these amazing art pieces nothing beats coming home after a long journey and passing by the Arch in my hometown of St. Louis. Every day I was greeted by the 630-foot tall stainless steel arch and it never ceases to amaze me. The architect Eero Saarinen won a contest to design a monument that honored western pioneers. The arch is often called the gateway to the West because it stands on the border between the East and the West. The arch was built in 1963 and was completed in two years after 13 million dollars. In those two years men died constructing this beautiful structure.
I have many childhood memories surrounding the arch because you can actually go up in it for an awesome view of the city. In order to get to the top you must take a little pod elevator that is not a good idea if you are claustrophobic. Once at the top you may feel uneasy because the arch is designed to sway with the wind but it is all part of the experience. When it snows people on the ground with write notes in the snow that you can see at the top. Every fourth of July a celebration goes on at the riverfront and I always watch fireworks under the arch. Some people say I have “St. Louis-itis” but the only thing I really love about my home city is the arch. I will always think the arch is special and I think it is really neat whenever I would be working downtown or at a Cardinal’s game that I could always see it. When asked where I live I tell them St. Louis and remind them by informing them the arch is there. No matter if I am on a gondola admiring the Venizian sight and sounds or dressed as a Geisha in Kyoto, Japan I will always be glad to pass the arch on my journey home.
1 comment:
I have to love this, because I'm from St. Louis as well!! I can relate to everything she says in her post.
Post a Comment