Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Red White & Rainbow

This question is very difficult to answer because I would change so many things about America. It's just like the question, "If you had three wishes..." because there are so many things that need change or that you want. Although I don't know a ton about politics as President I would want to make everything as fair as possible. After thinking about all the things I could change I suddenly realized "Duh, legalize gay marriage!" I know this is a very controversial subject because marriage is supposed to be religious and the bible supposedly says that marriage is between a man and a woman but there are many reasons to make it legal. America is supposed to be free and people are allowed to make their own choices. People who are in love deserve the right to marriage. Some people may ask why its not enough if the gay couple just live together but put yourself in their shoes. Being married makes things official. What if you were denied the right to be married to the love of your life? It is not just the symbolism but it is the benefits married people get from the government. If your husband died in the war you would get compensation for his death.  If people flipped out about gay marriage I would say, "Screw them." I could make a law that gives the married gay couple the same rights as a straight couple but I don't think thats enough. I know marriage is a sacrament but everyone has their own beliefs of what God says is okay to do and the government can't tell us what is right. Gays should be able to participate in this wonderful sacrament just like everyone else. Not everyone has a gay friend or family member so they may not understand. If gay marriage was legal then more people may find the courage to come out and then the people who disagree with gay marriage will just have to deal that their child is gay. If I were President I would really strive for a happier America. Let everyone be gay and merry.

No comments: