Wednesday, December 3, 2008

New Millennidumb Studies

I came to Columbia for a couple of reasons. First of all, I knew it was time to grow up and I thought that moving to Chicago would be one of the best ways to do this. I thought being on my own and starting over would be a good experience for me. Another reason why I came to Columbia was because it was only one of two colleges I got into. The other school was DePaul, so I basically had no choice but to come up here. I knew I wanted to go into a creative field so I figured Columbia would be the better choice.

            Now that I am here, I feel like I am missing something. I feel like I am not learning as much as I should be. I blame this one some of the courses I am taking. First of all, New Millennium Studies has to be one of the most worthless courses I have ever taken. I always leave that class feeling empty inside. I don’t blame the teacher, I blame the class. My math class is another course in which I feel dull. The students in there act up and I find the teacher struggling for our attention. The students in there are often times so out of control, I feel like I am high school again and have trouble learning. I honestly feel like I am losing math skills being in that class. However, I know that these courses are just required and really have nothing to do with my major. I keep telling myself that I’ll feel better once I start taking more Art and Design classes, but I’m starting to get fed up.

            One thing that I feel like I’m getting out of Columbia are the people I’m meeting. I’ve met a lot of weird and awesome characters here. If the people you are around shape who you are, then I can’t wait to see where I’ll end up. But, to my dismay, a lot of my closest friends are leaving next year. Being someone who is very easily persuaded, I find myself thinking that maybe Columbia isn’t for me either. I’ll give it another semester and see how I feel after that, but as of now I feel like my life is in Purgatory and I don’t know where I’m headed.

            

2 comments:

Angelica said...

I completely agree. I feel like I was learning some of the stuff I am now my freshmen or sophomore year.

poo said...

Love the title