Before I came to Columbia I went on this site where previous college students would write reviews about the school that they went to. Many of the reviews were pessimistic and said that nobody should waste their money on Columbia, which they do take, and a lot of it, because it’s a joke. At first, I didn’t think much about these reviews because I always think somebody’s situation might be different from my own experience, and college is what you make of it. But about three months in I realized that everything that previous students wrote about this school was true.
I feel like sometimes it is worse than high school here. Everybody is talking shit about everyone and gossiping and being hypocritical. It is just ridiculous. Maybe I am being biast and just assuming the majority is like this when one of my roommates and her cult of shallow hypocrites is the problem I am exposed to every day. My other roommate and I don’t even talk to her…and we are both moving out in about a week to a different dorm; in her case, a different college…My fourth roommate who had to share a bedroom with the crap talker, already moved out, 1 month into the semester.
I know so many people that are unhappy and are transferring but I think it depends on the department one chose to major in…My roommate is a journalism major but she says all her classes are a joke and she’s not getting her money’s worth. Then, I know another friend who is a music business major and he says his classes are nothing what he expected. He thinks he is being ripped off. On the other hand, I don’t even have time to breathe or sleep at this college because I am always busy with doing projects, homework, etc. My major is fashion/retail management and I chose some pretty tough teachers without knowing it when I first signed up for classes at orientation.
I have met some really driven, open minded people here but the only person that I could actually call a good friend is my roommate whom I share a bedroom with. We’ve actually grown into being best friends for sure and once she transfers in a week, I’m not really going to have anyone close to talk to or laugh with. I also don’t like to go out to parties because I feel like the majority of the parties here, are drinking parties, and I don’t drink. I also don’t want to meet people when they’re drunk because I just don’t think that’s a real way to become friends…I feel the relationship will be more of a just a superficial party relationship.
So even though my classes are challenging me, I just wish people were nicer here and wouldn’t talk so much crap about someone for no reason. But I’m not going to transfer because the problem is the people, not the college, in my case, and these kinds of people can exist on any campus.
3 comments:
let's be non-drinking friends.
am I lame for saying that? hhaah
I'm sorry your roommate sucks. I'd leave too, but I'm glad you made friends (if only one). :D
I totally agree with you. The kids should not impact a decision to transfer. I love seeing you in class, and hope to see you around!
Post a Comment