Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Lessons Learned...Not Regrets Made

I had no idea what to expect when I first came to Columbia. The idea, alone, that I was actually going to college didn't seem real. And there are still days when I cannot believe that this is my life. I have experienced so much in just one semester and I've learned more than I'm sure I even realize at this point.
I don't have any regrets because I believe that regrets are just mistakes that you didn't learn from. However, there are plenty of mistakes that I can acknowledge. Like deciding to live here where it's costing me more than $10,000 in student loans and my dorm is the worst excuse for living standards that I've ever seen in my life. Perhaps I'm being naive but I just thought that ten grand would get you some place a lot nicer to dwell. Still I have made great, amazing friends and had some wonderful experiences here - ones that probably wouldn't have occurred had I decided not to live here on campus.
I was able to attend the Obama Rally in Grant Park and watch first-hand as history was made. That wouldn't had happened if I decided to stay in the 'burbs. Nor would the fieldtrip that my friend Dan and I took to get me tattooed at eleven o'clock on a Sunday night. I also learned that living three other girls is one of the worst ideas I've ever had...way too much estrogen. Still I like to think that my good memories and experiences have outwayed the bad ones. And with finals approaching I know that I've never had to study so hard before in my life. But I also know that I made the right decision by deciding to attend Columbia.

No comments: